Saturday, September 24, 2016

Fall Card For A Friend

A few years ago, I taught a class at my stamp store where we used paper grocery bags to create fabulous painted backgrounds.  I came across the class notes while looking through my files the other day, and decided to grab a couple of bags and my paints and get a little messy in my craft room.  Oh, did I have fun!  This card is a result of my play time....



The background was created with a paper bag, and acrylic paints.  First, I cut the bag open, then cut off the front and back panels.  I crumpled the bag panels tightly in my hands, and then smoothed them out.  Next, I squirted fall colors of acrylic paint onto the crushed bag pieces one color at a time.  I started with one color, and squirted a small amount in one area, then brushed it in with a one inch or so paint brush, spreading that around a bit.  I applied a second color and spread that, then a third and fourth color.  

I repeated this, arranging my color areas randomly and pleasingly on the bag panels.  I let the bag show through in some areas on this particular panel, as it complimented the fall colors.  Then, to kick it up a notch, I added some gold metallic acrylic paint here and there.  

When the paint was dry (it doesn't take long at all), I cut card size panels, and attached them to A-2 card fronts.  Viola!  Instant fall backgrounds!

I made this card for a very special friend's birthday.  She loves fall, and leaves, as much as I do.  

The ginko branch die is from Poppy Stamps, and the single ginko is from Impression-Obsession.  They both have lovely texture and embossed lines, which, unfortunately do not show up in my picture.  I also used a manilla colored card stock, and it looks way more white in the photo than in real life. 

I added gold embossing to the tips of the ginko leaves by using my versamark marker along the edge, them dipping the dies into gold embossing powder and heating them.  

I gold embossed the phrase, from Penny Black's special thoughts clear stamp set, onto vellum and cut it out close to the words.  I added it to the card front.  A spattering of some gold sequins, and it was done.  

I got a message from my friend today, thanking me for the card, so since I now know she has it, I am posting it.  I did not want to post it until she had received it, as I wanted her to see it in person, before she saw it online.

It was fun revisiting an old technique, and playing with my paints and getting messy.  I love whenever I can upcycle items, and do my best to reduce, reuse, recycle whenever I can.  I want our earth to remain beautiful for our children, grandchildren, and their children and grandchildren.

I am adding my card to the AAA Cards challenge.  The theme for this week's challenge happens to be upcycling.  

Thanks so much for visiting.  If you live in an area where it is fall now, I hope you find some time to get out and enjoy the beauty of this season!  

Blessings,

lynda

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!