Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Technique Tuesday - Side Stair Step Card

I just fell in love with this card when I began seeing it on the internet.  I finally got around to trying to make it this past weekend.  A couple of friends came over to "play," and one of them had brought one that she had received.  That was all it took.....we decided right then and there to make one.

About eight mock-ups later, I finally felt as though I "got it."  Trying to figure out how to make a card without step-by-step instructions in front of you is not as easy as it looks.  But, we persisted, laughed a lot, measured a lot, and finally, I was able to put together a mock up.  Since then, I tweaked it a little, and made a card.  Then I wrote up the instructions, step-by-step.  It is a standard A2 size card.

Here's my card:
Here's a view a little from the side, so you can see the "stairs":
Fun, huh?  It's fun to make, too.  And really easy once you work through a mock up the first time (now that I've got the measurements for you).  Here's how it's done:

Place an 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of card stock in your trimmer at 2" (this is the base of your card. Cut a slit from 2 1/8" to 7 1/2".


Place the card on your score board horizontally, with the slit at the bottom.  Score from the top to the slit at 2 1/8".  (If you click on the pictures, you will see a close-up view).


Score all the way down the card at 4 1/4".


Score from the top to the slit at 5 3/8", then score from the top to the slit at 6 1/2" and 7 1/2".
 Starting with the center (the 4 1/4" fold), accordian fold the card as shown.  The 4 1/4" fold will be mountain folded at the bottom (narrow part) and valley folded at the top (wide part).  The rest of the folds will alternate mountain/valley folds.
Here is how the card looks before you add your stamps, images, and embellishments. 

That's it for the basic shape!!  Decorate as desired.
I used Penny Black stickers and stamps for a quick and easy card.  This one's going to my granddaughter, Keeley.  Now I have to make one for Kennedy!

There are variations on this card, including one with the steps in the center with a panel on both sides, and one without any panel, just steps all the way across.  My friend Arlene took home one of my "oops" mock-ups (where I slit in the wrong place), and made an adorable Easter basket card from it.  I tried put it up here, but can't seem to get it pasted in.  I will see if I can get it in my Flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/paperartscafe/ , so check it in a day or two.  And please, please feel free to post pictures of your cards, stair step or otherwise, on my Flickr group.  I'd love to have you in the gallery!

I've entered this in the Penny Black @ Allsorts challenge, where the theme is All You Need Is Love!  You can find the challenge here http://pennyblackatallsorts.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-challenge.html .

I hope you have fun with this.

Just a reminder, you have until Monday, February 7th to enter the coffee cup and/or coffee sleeve challenge from my previous post.  Scroll down for details.  Enter and you may win some blog candy...a free set of stamps, and the first three entries will receive a panel of stickers.

Thanks for stopping in.

Blessings,

lynda

16 comments:

  1. Such a cool design! Love all the details you've added, Lynda! Those frogs are a hoot and This is my favorite color combo! Fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thanks Lynda! - Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a challenging card! I want to try it tho...Will get a friend who is not as measurement-ly challenged as I:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is the cutest thing! lynda, you are a genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Barb. I have always loved pink and green together. And who can resist the Penny Black frogs? Thanks for visiting.
    Sylvia, you're too funny. Thanks for being my transcriber!
    Lance - Are you going to try it? We really NEED to get together soon.
    Anon - Not really a big challenge now that the measurements are worked out. Try it, I think you'll agree. Have fun, and thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a fun project!! Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous side stepper card Lynda! The frogs are beautifully coloured and they fit in perfectly to the card. Love the way you used the hearts and the sentiment.

    Thanks for sharing at Penny Black at Allsorts.

    Hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial, thanks.
    I love those frogs too,
    sweet valentine card.

    Thanks for sharing this with us
    at Penny Black @ Allsorts,
    good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG what an awesome creation!! I have not tried this style before, think I must now!
    Love the cute images you used, froggies are another one of my favorite PB images!

    Thanks so much for playing along this month at penny black at all sorts! Hope we see you again in february!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty card Lynda and a really helpful tutorial, thanks so much for taking the time to do that.

    And thank you so much for sharing with us at Penny Black at Allsorts this month.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is gorgeous Lynda .. .. loving those little frogs and all the hearts !!!

    Thank you too for the tutorial on the stepper card too .. very inspirational.

    Thank you for sharing with Penny Black at Allsorts this month.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gorgeous card Lynda and just perfect for our challenge this month at Penny Black at Allsorts. Thank you for sharing your lovely card and for the great tutorial.
    Good luck in the draw and we hope you will join us next month too.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just such a cute card I am loving all the frogs and hearts, thanks for joining us at Penny black at Allsorts.
    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That froggy card is SO cute!! I looks a little intimidating at first, but I might just try with your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous creation, I love your design, thanks for joining Penny Black At Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful card, thanks, I used this in a challenge at our local SS, love the folds, had to use paper they provided, used Graphic 45, card came out nice, it is a random draw win, wil let you know how I make it. Love this fold, again THANKS
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!