Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Scored Background

I love my Martha Stewart scoring board!!!  It has a compartment to store the bone folder so it is always with the board, and also comes with a handy envelope guide and project booklet.  This booklet shows how to use the board to make an A-2 envelope, and tells how to adjust for other sizes, and also how to make a small gift box, A-2 card, of course, and A2 gate fold card.  AND, it's less than half the price of the other scoring boards I've seen on the market.  Another great feature, which I appreciate very much, is that the score lines are 1/8 inch apart, rather than 1/4 inch.  OK, 'nuff said.  Now, on to the project I did with my MS score board.


















By the way, I created this card for some challenges.  Cards Blog challenge was to create a Mother's Day card http://northridgemedia.net/blogs/cards/uncategorized/challenge-gallery-and-new-challenge-29/ .  I used the Paper Crafts Sketch challenge sketch http://www.papercraftsconnection.com/blog/tag/go-to-sketch-challenge-2/ , and Raise The Bar challenge was to make a mother's day card http://raisethebarchallenge.blogspot.com/ and finally, the Our Creative Corner (OCC) challenge to make a Mother's Day card with no flowers. 

If you click on the image, you will get a closer look at the background (kraft colored) panel.  Notice the criss/cross pattern.  This is the technique I'm going to show you today.
* I cut my kraft panel to the desired size, then I placed it at an angle on my score board.  I used the rulers along both edges to get the desired angle to be perpendicular to the sides of the card.
*Then I simply used the bone folder to score lines every half inch.
*Then I turned the card, lined it up, and made half inch scores in the opposite direction.
*The final step was sanding.  I used a sanding block to lightly sand the raised edges, or criss-crosses. This took some of the color off, and made them show up more.  Another option would be to use a sponge and some ink and lightly drag it along the surface, highlighting the raised areas with ink.

I used Hero Arts stamps, and Spellbinder's dies. The hearts on the bottom right are punched, then run through my Cuttlebug with the swirl folder.  I distressed the panel and the hearts with brown ink.  I dyed the lace pink with some ink and a waterbrush.
I think I'll make a couple more of this one, without the MOM punched letters.  It would make a great birthday card for a special friend, or daughter, or mom!  I am really loving this clear set with the high heels....been having a lot of fun with it.

Well, that's it for now.  I got home early from work today, and decided to get this post up.  It's so nice outside, I think I'll sit on the deck and read for a while.  I'm about half way through The Lovely Bones, and am anxious to finish it.

Blessings and peace to you!

lynda

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! Love that it's a bit CAS and oh so girlie. Thanks for playing along with the OCC this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comments -- much appreciated! I LOVE your card -- the high heeled shoe is GREAT and the embellies you chose to go with it are just perfect! Thanks much for playing the Stamp Simply Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this fabulous Mother's Day card ... and those terrific stamps!

    Thanks so much for joining us in this week's "Stamp Simply" Mother's Day challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!