Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Technique Tuesday - Paper Cup Challenge

Last week my friend, Arlene, and I met for our monthly "friend breakfast" at our favorite haunt.  As we sipped our coffee, I casually remarked that the design on our cups would make pretty patterned paper.  We chuckled.  Who else but two paper crafters would see patterned paper in a paper cup's design!  I said it would be fun to see if we could make something from the cup itself.  Arlene said, "Let's do it," and the challenge was born.  We took our cups home, and each made a card from our cup.

Here's a picture of the cup which is what each of our cards started out as:
To make our cards, we washed the cups and dried them thoroughly.  We then very carefully removed the bottom and opened out the seam.  Then, just thought about how we would use the elements on the cup, and used it like we would use any special piece of patterned paper.  I did use a stronger adhesive on the back of mine, as the cup's inside had a little bit of a waxy finish, and I wanted to make sure it would stick to my card stock.

And here are the cards (click on images to see larger) -
Arlene's card (Arlene Rose) (outside and inside)
 Arlene used Spellbinder's dies to cut the shapes, then layered them onto card stock which she had embossed with a Cuttlebug embossing folder.  I love the little details with the punched flowers and the gorgeous sheer ribbon!

My card (outside and inside)
 I cut out around the swirl border design on the cup, making it part of the card, then used Spellbinder's dies to cut the shapes.  I added some stamped flowers (Hero Arts) and verse, and a pretty purple and green edged ribbon.
To read my article about friendship on my writing blog, click here http://lynplecsblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/special-blessings-of-friends.html .

CHALLENGE!!!  PRIZE!!!   WIN!!
Paper Cup Challenge
DEADLINE:  Monday, February 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM EST
DETAILS:  So, now that you have an idea, our challenge to you is to do the same.  Save your next take-out cup, and make something from it to share with us.  If you can't find any interesting cups, you can use a coffee sleeve (the ones that fit over the cup to keep your hands from getting too hot). Take a picture of your project, and upload it to my new Flickr Group here http://www.flickr.com/groups/paperartscafe/ .  Label your card or project: PaperCupChallenge.  You just click on "add photo" to upload your picture from your Flickr gallery.  If you do not have a Flickr gallery, it's easy to create one, and it's FREE.  What is Flickr?  Flickr is the best way to store, sort, search and share your photos online. Flickr helps you organize that huge mass of photos you have and offers a way for you and your friends and family to tell stories about them.  Have you ever sent someone a card, then forgotten what it looked like?  Sometimes a recipient of a card I've sent will call and say something about the card, and I can't remember what I sent them!  It's great to have pictures of your cards, so that you can make another like it if you want. Don't worry - you can set it up so your pictures are private, or you can choose to share with just certain people, or with anyone.  The best way to learn about Flickr is to upload some photos, explore the site, join some groups and make some friends. You can find more info about Flickr in the Magical Feature Tour.

So, go ahead.  Go get that coffee, or tea, or latte, and get home to make your project.  Join my flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/paperartscafe/ , and post your card.  Don't forget to label it PaperCupChallenge to be eligible for the challenge prize, and leave a message here on the blog to let me know you are playing, so I can watch for your entry.  The winner will receive a Fun At The Beach cling stamp set by Memory Box.  The first five entries will receive a panel of Fresh Paisley stickers by Autumn Leaves. 

I'm really excited about my first blog challenge, and really hope you'll play along.  We can't wait to see your ideas.  Don't forget to comment here that you are entering, so we can hop over to the Flickr Group to see your cards/projects.

Blessings,

lynda

8 comments:

  1. I just uploaded my card in the Flickr group! Thanks so much for hosting this fun challenge, Lynda! I hope I can make more cards with paper cup-related materials and I'd love to share here! What a brilliant idea to recyle and stretch our creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia - I just checked out your card on the Flickr group. What a fun masculine card for a boy! I really like the texture the coffee sleeve gives the layer highlighting the bicycle. Great distressing - great card! Thanks for playing...and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to start drinking coffee. I love your color combinations as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I thought I left a comment here after I uploaded my card. But now it's not here!? OMG may be I am going out of my mind! LOL Anyway, Lynda I think you saw my card. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cindy,
    I did see your adorable card. I love the way you highlighted the texture of the coffee sleeve with the white brilliance ink. Great entry. Good luck, and thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy,
    Well, coffee IS great, but you don't have to be a coffee drinker to play....just know someone who is. lol. But I'll bet if you tell the coffee shop people what you want it for, they'll probably be happy to give your a cup to use. Anyways, hope you'll enter and play along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynda- I just uploaded my pitiful entry to your Paper Cup Challenge. I love the idea of reusing items (something other than ribbon or buttons) in card making. It's something I've always wanted to do but haven't taken the time to do. Thank you for the challenge and congratulations on your first challenge to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea Lynda. I actually have a book that shares ideas on how to make mini ablums using coffee sleeves. Such a great idea on recycling and on thinking outside of the box. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!