Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Brass Stencil embossing made EASY!

Brass embossing templates come in so many different designs.  I probably have as many of them as I have rubber stamps!  I love the look of an embossed, raised image, and really enjoy making cards with these templates.
It used to take a light box, stylus, and a bit of time to emboss a design with a template.  Thanks to the Cuttlebug,  my light box is a thing of the past!  I have been experimenting with embossing with my Cuttlebug, and am pleased to say that I have had success!  Here are some cards I made using the Cuttlebug to emboss my templates:
For this card, I embossed the flowers and leaves, then cut them out, leaving a scant edge beyond the embossed outside edge.  Then I sponged distress ink lightly on the shape, highlighting the embossed areas.  I used foam mounting tape to attach them to my card. ( I entered this card in the Colour Create challenge http://colourcreatechallenge.blogspot.com/ - had to use duck egg blue, ivory and one other color).
The thing I really love about using my Cuttlebug with my embossing templates is that I can now emboss dark colored card stock, which was very difficult to do before.
I have two more cards using brass stencils, but first I wanted to give you the directions for how to do it.  The other two cards are pictured below the directions.

Here's the "recipe" or "sandwich" for using brass stencils to emboss with  your Cuttlebug"

Make a "sandwich" using:
        Plate A
        Plate B
        Brass Stencil
        Card Stock (I used four sheets, but experiment to see how much your bug needs)
        Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mat
        3 to 4 sheets of Card Stock (cut the same size as the embossing mat)
        Plate B                                                                                                         
Put the "sandwich" through your Cuttlebug, then bring it through again.  I put mine through three times, just to be sure it got embossed fully.  CAUTION:  Do not force the sandwich through if it wants to get stuck, it will break your machine.  Just remove a piece of card stock, and try it with fewer, until it goes through.  It will be tight, but shouldn't be forced.

This next card uses one of my favorite brass stencils from Dreamweavers.  I love this iris:
I "embossed" it using the recipe above in my Cuttlebug. When I took the card stock and stencil out of the Cuttlebug, I left the stencil on the card stock (it was already embossed).  Then, I used ColorBox pigment inks to color the flower.  To do this, simply tear off bits of a makeup wedge, and clip the torn bit into an alligator clip. Be sure to round the edge so you have a smooth piece of the sponge to work with.  Simply dip the sponge end of the clip into the ColorBox ink pad, then apply gently over the openings in the stencil.  When you remove the stencil, VOILA!  There is your finished and beautifully colored flower!

This next card was done the same, only instead of using ColorBox inks, I used pastel chalks with my sponged alligator clip.  I sprayed a fine mist of hair spray over the chalked image to seal the chalk and keep it from rubbing off.
So, if you have lots of brass stencils or templates around, and own a Cuttlebug, give this a try.  You'll discover, as I have, that using brass stencils is fun again!  By the way, I understand that you can also do this with the Sizzix machine.  I do not have a Sizzix, so I don't know the order, but I'm sure if you experiment, you'll figure it out.
Enjoy!


Blessings and peace,


lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!